There’s no better feeling than the feeling a hot fruit crumble brings. The instant fulfillment and warmth wraps around you like a giant hug, each spoonful tastes better than the last and if by magic the thought of not being able to squeeze into your new skinny jeans tomorrow morning just vanishes.
The hedgerows are jam packed with Blackberries at the moment, don’t let them go to waste, pair them with crisp, juicy Bramley apples and a dusting of sugary goodness. Thank me later.
Time to get picking!
: YOU WILL NEED :
FOR THE FILLING
+ 2 Large Bramley Apples
+ 170g Blackberries
+ 2 ½ TBSP White Sugar
+ 1 TBSP Lemon Juice
FOR THE CRUMBLE TOPPING
+ 125g Plain Flour
+ 50g Light Brown Soft Sugar
+ 50g Porridge Oats
+ 100g Unsalted Butter (Chilled)
+ 50g Chopped Hazelnuts
+ ½ TSP Vanilla Bean Paste
1. Preheat oven to 200c (use temperature converter depending on your own oven) Peel and Chop your Apples into 2cm Chunks. Stir in Lemon juice, white sugar and a pinch of salt. Add the Blackberries and mix together, pop mixture into an ovenproof dish and drizzle over your Vanilla bean paste.
3. For the crumble topping simply add Flour, Light brown Sugar, Porridge Oats and a pinch of salt to a mixing bowl. Chop butter into cubes and add into the mixture. Using your fingers rub the butter in until everything looks like breadcrumbs, you don’t want it too fine in texture, keep some lumps in!! Sprinkle the nuts in and gently toss (Ahem).
4. Gently push your fruit down making it as flat as possible then scatter over your crumble topping making sure every piece of fruit is covered and you have an even layer.
5. Pop in the oven and bake for 40mins regularly checking to make sure it’s not burning.
6. Remove from oven once golden brown on top and the fruit is bubbling inside. Serve with Custard or Cream and Enjoy.
What is your go-to winter warmer? I'd love to know your recipes