Welcome back you lovely lot! I know I’ve been the world’s worst blogger over the past month but today I am bringing you a super tasty recipe to say sorry for the absence and trying to win you all over with food, that always works right?? I hope I’m forgiven!! This week I have teamed up with my favourites over at ALDI to bring you some delicious Vegan recipes to celebrate World Vegan Month. Going Vegan has always been at the back of my mind, something I’ve always toyed with, but it’s not as simple as just ditching meat and dairy, it’s a whole new lifestyle you have to adapt to which isn’t an immediate switch, I think it will take time, trial and error and a lot of determination. However, this past year I have seriously cut back on my meat intake only really eating it at weekends or on special occasions and having a lot less dairy, small changes and baby steps to switching up my diet are happening all the time and I love experimenting with different food and recipes, I hope you can draw some inspiration and maybe introduce some Vegan recipes into your weekly routine.So let’s get onto the recipe, ALDI challenged me to switch some of my normal weekly meals up and swap them for vegan meals, I wanted to make something warm and comforting and being instantly drawn to curries and stews in the winter I thought why not bash out a Vegan Curry. I nipped out to my nearest ALDI store and as always was greeted by the biggest selection of fresh fruit and veg, these are by far my favourite isles in the store so this was always going to be a fun challenge, I used a few recipes from the ALDI recipe page as well as Pinterest as my inspiration as I didn’t want to get any ingredients wrong, obviously I’m not a full time vegan so needed a bit of back up to make sure I’m doing it right, after mixing a few recipes together this Vegan Coconut, Sweet Potato & Chickpea Curry was born.
- In a casserole dish heat the oil until slightly bubbling, add the cumin seeds and brown them slightly, be careful not to burn them.
- Once the cumin seeds are browned add the chopped onions and sauté until transparent. Add the garlic, ginger, turmeric, ground coriander and chilli flakes, combine into a paste and cook through for 1 minute.
- Add the cubed sweet potato, chickpeas, tinned tomatoes and coconut milk. Stir and cover, bring to a steady simmer for 20 minutes or until the sweet potato is al dente.
- Stir the Spinach in and let it wilt. Leave the lid off to let the mixture reduce and thicken slightly, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on a bed of your desired rice, garnish with a squeeze of lime and a sprinkle of coriander.
There you have it, the perfect Vegan winter warmer. I’d love to know if you try this recipe out, if you do, please tag me on Instagram @katelouiseblog and use the hashtag #katecooks
A big thank you to ALDI for providing me the goods and making me think outside the box when it comes to my weeknight meals, if you are thinking on going Vegan or want to introduce more meat/dairy free meals into your routine then check out the full product list of Vegan foods that ALDI carry HERE. Stay tuned for more Vegan content over the next few weeks.
*This blog post isn’t sponsored, however, all ingredients were paid for by ALDI UK